If you`re thinking of renting out a spare room in your home, it`s important to have a comprehensive lodger agreement in place to protect both you and the lodger. A lodger agreement is a legally binding contract that outlines the terms and conditions of the arrangement.
Before signing a lodger agreement, it`s crucial to carefully review it to ensure that all aspects of the arrangement are clearly defined. Here are some key areas to pay attention to:
1. Rent and deposit: The agreement should clearly state the amount of rent payable, how it should be paid, and the date it is due. It should also outline the amount of deposit required and the conditions under which it will be refunded.
2. Duration of stay: The agreement should state the start and end date of the lodger`s stay, as well as the notice period required by both parties if the arrangement is to be terminated early.
3. Shared facilities: If the lodger will be sharing facilities such as the kitchen or bathroom, the agreement should clearly define the rules and expectations around their use.
4. House rules: The agreement should outline any house rules that the lodger is expected to follow, such as restrictions on smoking or noise levels.
5. Utilities and bills: The agreement should clearly define how utilities and bills will be paid, whether they will be included in the rent or charged separately.
6. Insurance: The agreement should state whether the lodger is required to have their own insurance, or whether they are covered by the homeowner`s insurance.
7. Maintenance and repairs: The agreement should outline who is responsible for maintenance and repairs in the lodger`s room and in shared areas of the house.
8. Guest policy: The agreement should state whether guests are allowed and, if so, any restrictions or limitations on their stay.
9. Termination: The agreement should outline the circumstances under which the agreement can be terminated, such as breach of the agreement by the lodger.
It`s important to remember that a lodger agreement is a legally binding contract, so it`s essential that both parties fully understand and agree to its terms. If in doubt, seek legal advice before signing the agreement.
In conclusion, a spare room lodger agreement is a vital document that should not be taken lightly. It can protect both the homeowner and the lodger in the event of any misunderstandings or disputes, so take the time to review and understand its contents before signing on the dotted line.